Mercury poisoning is a serious health condition caused by exposure to mercury, a heavy metal in the environment. Symptoms of mercury poisoning can include neurological problems, gastrointestinal problems, and kidney damage.
Several reports of mercury poisoning from skin products, such as skin lighteners and anti-aging creams. These products are often used by people of color, who may be unaware of the risks associated with mercury exposure.
What Are the Dangers of Mercury?
Mercury exposure can occur through inhalation, ingestion or skin contact. Mercury vapor is the most dangerous form of mercury, as it can be quickly absorbed into the bloodstream through the lungs. Mercury is also dangerous when it is ingested, as it can damage the gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, and brain. Skin contact with mercury can cause irritation and rashes.
Mercury is particularly dangerous to unborn babies and young children, as it can damage the developing nervous system. Exposure to high levels of mercury can cause birth defects, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, deafness, and blindness.
It can also lead to problems with motor skills, learning, and attention span. Mercury exposure can also cause serious health problems in adults, such as kidney damage, neurological problems, and death.
What Are the Signs of Mercury Poisoning?
One of the most common signs of mercury poisoning is fatigue. This is because mercury exposure can damage the nervous system and cause problems with energy production. Other common signs of mercury poisoning include:
- Muscle weakness
- Loss of appetite
- Difficulty concentrating
- Memory loss
- Joint pain
If you think you may have been exposed to mercury, you must see a doctor immediately for a diagnosis.
How to Protect Yourself from Mercury Poisoning?
One of the best ways to protect yourself from mercury poisoning is to limit exposure to it. If you work in an industry that uses mercury, follow all safety guidelines and take precautions to avoid contact with the substance. If you live near a mercury-producing facility, avoiding consuming fish or shellfish from local waters may be wise.
You can also reduce your risk of mercury poisoning by ensuring that your diet is rich in selenium. This nutrient helps to protect the body from the harmful effects of mercury. Foods high in selenium include Brazil nuts, tuna, shrimp, and eggs.
One of the best ways to detox from mercury is to use zeolites. Zeolites are naturally-occurring minerals with a honeycomb-like structure that can bind to heavy metals and remove them from the body.
Zeolite is a highly effective detoxifier because it has a strong negative charge that attracts and binds to heavy metals like mercury. Once bound, the digestive system eliminates the zeolite-mercury complex from the body.
Several zeolite products on the market can be taken orally or applied topically to help remove mercury from the body. Zeolite powder can also be added to bath water to help draw out mercury and other toxins through the skin.
Our Final Thoughts
It is important to be aware of the potential risks of using skin care products containing mercury. Although the amount of mercury typically found in these products is relatively low, it can still be harmful if absorbed into the skin. If you are concerned about mercury exposure, it is best to avoid using skin care products that contain it.
If you are interested in detoxing with Zeolite, you can purchase our products at Zeolite For Detox. We aim to help others get access to zeolite products and reap its benefits. Try our zeolite products at Zeolite For Detox today!
Heavy metals are poisonous substances that can build up in the body and cause serious health problems. Many heavy metals, such as lead, mercury, and arsenic, are found in the environment, and people...
Cosmetics are products that are used to enhance one's appearance. However, many cosmetics contain toxins that can be harmful to your health. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has found that...